The British School in Tokyo offers a limited number of bursaries which are intended to assist eligible families who are unable to afford the full fees. At present, the number of bursaries is limited to approximately 7% of the total student roll. This ratio may be varied in the future depending on the financial circumstances of both potential applicants and the School.
To be considered for a bursary the student and the student’s family must fulfil the School’s normal admissions requirements and also meet the following additional criteria:
- There must be a demonstrable benefit to the student in receiving a British Education (as opposed to other systems of education available in Tokyo)
- There must be a verifiable inability of the family to pay the full amount of the fees; the family will be asked to provide financial information sufficient to allow a detailed assessment to be made by the School; this includes annual tax returns and correspondence from employers; a visit to the family home may be required; any bursary granted will be subject to reassessment of family means each year and may be varied, depending on family circumstances
Priority will be given to families in which the main earner is employed full-time in the Education Sector or in a not for profit organisation such as a charity.
Amount of Bursary
- 100% waiver of all enrolment fees
- Up to 50% reduction of tuition fees (including Capital Development Fund)
- Bursaries will be awarded for one academic year, but will be renewed every year, subject to satisfactory student progress and annual reassessment of family financial circumstances.
- Application forms are available from the Bursar (email@example.com); applications will initially be processed by the Bursar and final decisions will be made by a committee consisting of the Bursar, the Principal and a subset of the Trustees; the decision of the Committee on all matters, including what constitutes a demonstrable benefit to the student in receiving a British Education and whether there is a verifiable inability to pay the full amount of the fees, is final and not subject to appeal
- The period for acceptance of application forms for the academic year of 19/20 has finished. The schedule for the academic year of 20/21 will be announced in the autumn.