Collection of Personal Data
The British School in Tokyo (BST) generally collects personal data through the BST website, BST Portals (Admissions, Parent Portal, Employment), application forms on the BST website, Google Forms, Google Classroom, surveys, and/or other channels (including in the course of an individual’s interaction with BST, including as a participant in various activities associated with delivering the purpose, mission and vision of BST and its related entities or affiliates).
Personal data provided by you to BST is used for the school to perform its administrative, education, academic and research functions, and for other directly related purposes.
Types of Data Collected
The types of data we collect may include, but are not limited to:
- Personal information such as name, ID/passport details, date of birth, marital status, gender, nationalities
- Contact information such as address, email addresses, telephone numbers
- Past and current academic records such as schools attended, courses of study, periods of study and academic results
- Employment information such as company name, company type, sector, designation, business telephone numbers and email addresses
- Billing information including credit card and / or bank details
- Images, documents, photographs, videos
How will we use your data?
BST will use your data for the following purposes, including, but not limited to:
- Enrolment-related purposes (admission assessment, registration, planning of curricula, communication with student and parents, provision of references, pastoral care, extracurricular activities and provision of healthcare services)
- Employment-related purposes (appointment administration, human resource management matters including payroll, leave and benefits administration and staff development)
- Alumni communications
- Conducting of statistical studies and analyses
- Promotional and marketing purposes relating to BST and carefully selected third parties (including BST’ related entities and affiliates) and their activities and events
- Outreach and engagement in support of BST, its mission and community, whether conducted by BST, its related entities or appointees (including fundraising activities); and
- all other matters relating to the mission, function or operation of BST as BST may consider to be necessary or appropriate.
Personal data will be kept confidential and handled by the School’s staff members. BST may disclose personal data collected for the purposes above to the following entities:
- Entities participating in outreach and engagement activities in support of BST, its mission and community, whether conducted by BST, its related entities, affiliates or appointees
- Entities to whom BST is compelled or required to do so under law or in response to a request by a government agency, or where the public interest or BST interests so require
- Third party service or product providers providing services to BST or seeking academic references, in each case whether in Japan or overseas and as BST may determine to be necessary or appropriate
- Entities considered by BST to be necessary or appropriate in order to support the enrolment, education and wellbeing of BST students as well as for the operation of BST
Protection of Data
All reasonably practicable steps will be taken to ensure that the data held by BST are protected against unauthorized or accidental access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks. BST will ensure that clear and robust safeguards are in place to protect data, regardless of the format in which it is recorded.
Whenever users submit personal information via BST website, portals and online forms, upon submission that information is encrypted via SSL (Secured Sockets Layer). Servers that store personally identifiable information are in a secure environment. All personal data you provide to the school are secured, and access to them is restricted to authorised personnel only. Under no circumstances are credit card numbers permanently stored on our website servers.
Access and Correction of Data
An individual has the right to make a request to access, correct and/or withdraw the personal data held about them by BST.
Use of Web Analytics and Cookies
Like most standard websites we use website-analytics software such as Google Analytics and cookies to analyze trends in how our website is accessed and utilized. This information is anonymous and cannot be directly linked to individual users. We may use it to identify high-use or low-use areas of the site, pinpoint problem areas of the site, analyze broad demographic trends in our visitors, and make decisions about how to make it easier for people to find and navigate our website.
Use of Links
Throughout our web pages, we provide links to other servers that may contain information of interest to our readers. We take no responsibility for, and exercise no control over, the organizations, views, or accuracy of the information contained on other servers.
Enquiries and Contact Information
For enquiries on our Privacy and Data Protection Policy, please write to:
Data Team at The British School in Tokyo